Counselling with a Holistic Edge
Jennifer is a U.S. board certified mental health Clinical Counselor and holds multiple mental health licenses in the U.S. including Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist and Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor. Her education was focused on mental health counselling and family therapy which includes a B.S. degree in counselling from UNLV and an M.S. in Counseling with a focus on Marriage and Family Therapy.
Jennifer is also credentialed counsellor in Australia and is a PACFA clinical member, (Psychotherapy And Counselling Federation of Australia) and a Level IV Member of the Australia Counselling Association (ACA).
With nearly two decades of experience and expertise in the scientific and medical laboratory fields, including a career as a research scientist, Jennifer has enjoyed the advancement of all types of healthcare. She firmly believes experiences with cutting edge science and brilliant minds have helped nurture her thirst for knowledge, curiosity, flexibility, and creativity which colour her work as a counsellor and psychotherapist.
With a passion for empowering people, she helps clients as well as co-workers tap in to and reach their highest potential. A mentor and motivator, she brings enthusiasm, and value creating solutions to those around her.
- Clinical Member of American Marriage and Family Association (AAMFT)
- Clinical Member of California Association of Marriage and Family Therapy (CAMFT)
- Clinical Member of East Bay Association of Marriage and Family Therapy (EBCAMFT)
- Clinical Member of GAYLESTA Psychotherapist Association for Gender and Sexual Diversity
Holistic Therapy Plus
Jennifer works as a holistic psychotherapist who believes in a wellness model. Her work is focused on listening to the mind, body, and spirit of her clients, honoring their stories and encouraging clients to listen to their innate wisdom to facilitate change and healing.
She is trained in behavior changing techniques such as
- Solution Focused
- Psychodynamic and
- Trauma models
Jennifer works from a strengths based approach motivating clients with solution focused tools as well as narrative approaches to identify stories and language that hold us back. She works with mindfulness techniques to help clients feel more grounded and balanced in their daily living. She also works with psychodynamic models to assist clients in improving relationships and clearing up all that past baggage from negative relationshps we drag around.
While Jennifer enjoys working with personal growth and development, helping people tap in to and reach their highest potential, she also works from a trauma informed perspective. She is honored to walk with clients on their journey to healing and helping clients claim their right to a life well lived. She helps clients work through troubling issues such as
- past trauma
- abuse issues including childhood abuse
- sexual abuse
- PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.)
An eight year meditation practice and a yoga practice have helped shape Jennifer's views of health and what thriving actually looks like. It is her hope to marry both the scientific and the mind/body/spirit/ transpersonal aspect in what she calls The Art and Science of a Life Well Lived. And, of course, help give her clients the opportunity to Be. Here. Completely.
Education & Continued Trainings
Since graduating with a masters degree in Marriage and Family Therapy in 2005 Jennifer has worked in a variety of community settings including
- providing grief and loss work at a hospice center
- addictions treatment at a non-profit community mental health center
- as a therapist intern working with anxiety and depression and addictions
- as a therapist intern for an insurance company where she worked with a variety of serious and acute issues including trauma and abuse.
Jennifer provides individual counseling for the Sydney area and works with a variety of complaints including anxiety, depression, grief and loss, PTSD, and relationship issues. She also provides couples counseling and marriage counseling and has specific education and training with family systems and genograms.
She is especially fond of working with the LGBT-QI population and has expertise in the Mormon/ LDS culture and working with gay, lesbian, transgender and queer identified in the Mormon community. (LGBT from the Mormon Community)
Jennifer is constantly seeking education, training and new opportunities to learn. Currently she is working on:
- getting certified with WPATH (World Professional Association for Transgender Health)/ increasing her commitment to the trans population and the LGBT-QI community
- getting certified to provide tele-health services/ increasing her commitment to all residents in need, regardless of transportation availability
- teaching herself the art of website SEO/ increasing her commitment to Matt Cutts on youtube who is a brilliant trainer